Questions about ctl_cyrusdb

Andre Brandt brandt at decoit.de
Wed Nov 11 04:43:30 EST 2009

Hi,

last night, after an accident, my mailserver ran out of space within
half an hour. After solving the problem, I thought, that the problem was
gone. What I didn't know was, that, after solving the original problem,
cyrus started to create more than 6600 files unter /var/lib/cyrus/db.
(log.00000xxxx) Each file with a size of 10mb.
After starting cyrus again, I can see, that ctl_cyrusdb recovers the
database. But this takes a _very_ long time.... :(

As I found in documentation, files under /var/lib/cyrus/db can be safely
deleted, when no cyrus process is running - is this right? What are this
files for? What kind of information do they contain? How can It happen,
that cyrus writes more than 70 GB of logs? When the server has nearly no
work to do?

Thanks,
Andre