VMware for Cyrus?

John Madden jmadden at ivytech.edu
Mon Nov 9 09:23:18 EST 2009

>> The main advantage that ESX would offer is in employing VMotion,
>> VMMware HA and such. It adds a layer of complexity, but also a layer
>> of security and convenience.

We're about to virtualize our environment, albeit on Xen rather than
ESX.  (It's been my experience that Xen performs better.)  We're also
moving from a single node to a six-node murder.

I don't think a mail server requires anything different of you than any
other application -- install the app and test it thoroughly.  Maybe you
wouldn't be able to handle 2500 connections on a single IMAP server
anymore but you would be able to under murder?  Maybe the hardware
running the new hypervisors is new enough relative to your 5-year-old
hardware to overcome the overhead of virtualization?

FWIW, I won't run anything on hardware anymore unless I absolutely have
to.  To me, the benefits of running virtualized outweigh the pitfalls --
dealing with real OS installs on real hardware, dealing with
multipathing and SAN (virtual disks are easy), etc.

John

--
John Madden
Sr UNIX Systems Engineer