VMware for Cyrus?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Nov 9 07:36:04 EST 2009

Thanks for your reply!

--On 9. November 2009 07:24:22 -0500 Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:

> We run a ~500-600 connection Cyrus in ESX.  But that isn't ~2,500.
> There are so many variables here.

True ...

> How much I/O your hypervisor can absorb depends on the same thing as a
> metal system - the underlying I/O subsystem.

We have a 2 Gbit IBM SVC-SAN connected with Fibrechannel over Cisco MDS
9509 switches. So far that's been sufficient, but we will probably upgrade
that as well in the forseeable future. We will use the same SAN devices as
raw devices under VMware. I've successfully done that on test installations.

>  So far with ESX I've seen
> that the I/O subsystem bottlenecks before there is any 'hard limit' in
> the hypervisor;  just like a metal system bottlenecks before any 'hard
> limit' in a [modern/recent] OS.  The real problem with virtualization is
> that it becomes almost trivial to over-subscribe the system,

Exactly.

>  it works
> great so long as only a few systems load spike at once - when seven or
> eight servers load spike at the same time things get ugly and the poor
> sys-admin's cell phone gets inundated with SMS alerts.

So the real task would be to define appropriate reservations. But it's good
to know that someone actually uses such a system in production, even though
it's lower-sized than ours.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.