VMware for Cyrus?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Nov 9 06:23:37 EST 2009

Hi,

today I've learned that the Dell hardware our mail servers run on is out of
support, because it's more than 5 years old (time flies ...). We were
planning an upgrade from RHEL 3 to RHEL 5 anyway, but now we will try to
accelerate that procedure somewhat. Our systems group is pushing VMware ESX
on all levels. Previously VMware was not recommended for IO-heavy tasks,
but apparently that's not the case anymore. Currently we have an ESX 3.5
environment, but that will be upgraded to ESX 4 by the end of January.

My question is if there have been recent experiences running a Cyrus server
with up to 2,500 concurrent IMAP connections under VMware ESX? I've found
some posts in the archives, e.g.

<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=45854>
<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=48535>

but the former is relatively old, and the latter isn't really answered wrt
VMware ...

FWIW, the current setup is a single Dell PowerEdge 6650 with 16 GB of RAM,
coupled with a twin using Red Hat Cluster Suite.

Thanks, Sebastian
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.