Any idea on read the backup of mailboxes out of imap server

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Nov 5 05:59:46 EST 2009

Quoting Zhu Zhixin <zhuzhixin at realss.com>:

> Hello all,
>
>      When a user is not valid anymore, i usually compress all the user's
> mails to an .tar.gz file and then delete the user account from the imapd
> server.
>
>     Well, there is situation which i need to read the old mail of the
> deleted user. So, before, i restore it from the backup to an
> experimental imapd server. It is not convenient.
>
>    I guess there must be other solutions on this. Please help!

As the mails are stored as text files you can read them
with "less" or "more". If you have to access the attachments,
view the html part formarted, you can open the file
with a mailclient wich supports single mails (.eml formart) e.g.
thunderbird or KMail.

   Michael

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen