Over quota when not

Richard Gilbert R.Gilbert at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Nov 4 08:51:18 EST 2009

We have been happily running cyrus-imap 2.2.12 on a Solaris 10 system
(installed from Blastwave) for years.  I now have a problem with a
user's quota which I don't understand.

Usage as reported by cyradm lq, lqr and by the equivalent IMAP query all
report that the user is at 78% but when they login, after selecting a
folder they get a "Mailbox is over quota" error.

The user's quota file in /var/imap/quota contained:

3604871753
4500000

The actual filestore in use is consistent with the 3.6 GB usage figure
above.  I tried running quota -f on the mailbox but that did not make
any difference.  I deleted the quota file and this had the effect of
disabling quotaing for the user.  This would appear to be a workaround
for the user but not really a satisfactory solution.

The 4.5 GB quota was subsequently reinistated.  Initially the quota file
contained

2285158
4500000

which looks like the amount of mail received after the quota was
reinstated.  After running quota -f it went back to a similar number as
before, equivalent to 78% usage, but still with the "Mailbox is over
quota" error.

How can I correct this problem?

Thank you in anticipation.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services