avelsieve problem switching mail servers

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Nov 4 03:39:22 EST 2009

> Simon Matter wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I tried posting this on the squirrelmail plugin mailing list, but
>>> didn't
>>> get a response, so thought maybe someone on this list might be able to
>>> give me a hint, since I know a lot of you have sieve set up with cyrus
>>> and squirrelmail. Feel free to tell me this is the wrong list, and I
>>> will try elsewhere, but if someone can help, I would be very grateful.
>>>
>>> I recently moved my mail server to a new server, and have managed to
>>> get
>>> everything working except for sieve access through squirrelmail. I hope
>>> this mail isn't too confusing, but wanted to lay out a few different
>>> possibilities for what might be going on.
>>>
>>> Initially, when I tried to go to filters after logging into
>>> squirrelmail, squirrelmail would hang, and eventually time out with no
>>> error messages (just a reset by peer, I think). I tried going into
>>> imapd.conf and turning off tls for sieve to see if there was an
>>> authentication problem:
>>>
>>> sieve_tls_cert_file: disable
>>>
>>> When I do this, then I get an error message when I click on filters:
>>>
>>> Warning: stream_socket_enable_crypto()
>>> [function.stream-socket-enable-crypto]: SSL operation failed with code
>>> 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1408F10B:SSL
>>> routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number in
>>> /usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins/avelsieve/include/managesieve.lib.php
>>> on
>>> line 514
>>> ERROR:
>>> Could not log on to timsieved daemon on your IMAP server
>>> localhost:2000.
>>> Error Encountered: 255
>>> Please contact your administrator.
>>>
>>> I looked at the managesieve.lib.php script, and I noticed that it uses
>>> php4, but I am using php5. But, it seems kind of strange that it would
>>> require php4, since this is the stable package for debian with default
>>> settings, and I didn't have any dependency issues installing, so I'm
>>> not
>>> sure this is the problem.
>>>
>>> squirrelmail                        2:1.4.15-4+lenny2
>>> avelsieve                           1.9.7-6+lenny1
>>>
>>> TLS/SSL works for eveything else (imap,imaps,smtp,and apache), so I'm a
>>> little bit suspicious for that being the problem.
>>>
>>> Something I did notice was that in the previous installation, we seemed
>>> to be using something called websieve, although we also had the
>>> avelsieve plugin installed. I copied the websieve directory, but I
>>> haven't found any documentation about how websieve is different from
>>> avelsieve or whether you can use both, or how
>>> squirrelmail/avelsieve/websieve interact. I think I need to get rid of
>>> websieve, and just use avelsieve, but I'm not sure about this. Would I
>>> run into problems if I just got rid of the websieve directory? How is
>>> avelsieve suppose to interact with squirrelmail?
>>
>> Hi,

> [...]

I don't think websieve was used with squirrelmail but standalone. At least
I never heard of a websieve plugin for squirrelmail, but I know a tool
named websieve which has no relation to squirrelmail.

If you want to know how your sieve scripts were managed, you may just look
at the script on your imap server. If they have been created with
avelsieve then you will find lot's of comment string from avelsieve.

Regards,
Simon