If it possible to manipulate imap accounts from the client side with certain account

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Nov 4 02:26:49 EST 2009

> Simon Matter wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You may want to check the "proxyservers" option in imapd.conf. Looks
>> like
>> what you are looking for.
>>

> Thanks very much. For proxyservers, i have done some test on it and
> final didn't get any idea on howto use it.
>
> It seems that no documents about proxyservers.
>
> If you have experience on this, please help!

I don't remember exactly how I have used it. It was to copy mailboxes from
cyrus-imapd to another system using imapsync. It was something like

- create a proxy user, in our case called "proxy". I don't remember
whether it needed a mailbox or maybe we only created it in the auth db.
- add "proxyservers: proxy" to imapd.conf

Now, with an IMAP client, you can authenticate as user "proxy" with
proxy's password but then login as the target user. That means you don't
need the target users password.

With imapsync that was done using
imapsync --authuser1 proxy --user1 buddy ...

I hope someone on the list can tell you how to do this in perl.

Regards,
Simon