avelsieve problem switching mail servers

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Nov 3 18:32:28 EST 2009

Hi there,

I tried posting this on the squirrelmail plugin mailing list, but didn't
get a response, so thought maybe someone on this list might be able to
give me a hint, since I know a lot of you have sieve set up with cyrus
and squirrelmail. Feel free to tell me this is the wrong list, and I
will try elsewhere, but if someone can help, I would be very grateful.

I recently moved my mail server to a new server, and have managed to get
everything working except for sieve access through squirrelmail. I hope
this mail isn't too confusing, but wanted to lay out a few different
possibilities for what might be going on.

Initially, when I tried to go to filters after logging into
squirrelmail, squirrelmail would hang, and eventually time out with no
error messages (just a reset by peer, I think). I tried going into
imapd.conf and turning off tls for sieve to see if there was an
authentication problem:

sieve_tls_cert_file: disable

When I do this, then I get an error message when I click on filters:

Warning: stream_socket_enable_crypto()
[function.stream-socket-enable-crypto]: SSL operation failed with code
1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1408F10B:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins/avelsieve/include/managesieve.lib.php on
line 514
ERROR:
Could not log on to timsieved daemon on your IMAP server localhost:2000.
Error Encountered: 255
Please contact your administrator.

I looked at the managesieve.lib.php script, and I noticed that it uses
php4, but I am using php5. But, it seems kind of strange that it would
require php4, since this is the stable package for debian with default
settings, and I didn't have any dependency issues installing, so I'm not
sure this is the problem.

squirrelmail                        2:1.4.15-4+lenny2
avelsieve                           1.9.7-6+lenny1

TLS/SSL works for eveything else (imap,imaps,smtp,and apache), so I'm a
little bit suspicious for that being the problem.

Something I did notice was that in the previous installation, we seemed
to be using something called websieve, although we also had the
avelsieve plugin installed. I copied the websieve directory, but I
haven't found any documentation about how websieve is different from
avelsieve or whether you can use both, or how
squirrelmail/avelsieve/websieve interact. I think I need to get rid of
websieve, and just use avelsieve, but I'm not sure about this. Would I
run into problems if I just got rid of the websieve directory? How is
avelsieve suppose to interact with squirrelmail?

thanks for any hints,
maria