imapd locked

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Mon May 18 08:23:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 02:12:55PM +0200, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>>         imap            cmd="imapd -U 50" listen="imap" prefork=0
>> maxchild=100
>>         imaps           cmd="imapd -s -U 50" listen="imaps" prefork=0
>> maxchild=100

[...]
> Depends on what you mean. New connections to imapd block block
> indefinitely until the number of processes goes below maxchild. If that's
> what you call "stall", it's to be expected.

Yup, maxchild should be more than the number of expected concurrent imap
connections, and then some safety margin added. :) (I have it set to 5000 on my
two murder front ends. I rarely get more than 10000 concurrent users -
actually, I don't get more than, say, 8000 concurrent users, but I use a crude
& primitive load balancing system, so it isn't always perfectly balanced.)

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B
Please consider membership of the Hospitality Club (http://www.hospitalityclub.org)