imapd locked

Gerald Nowitzky whl at igne.de
Mon May 18 08:00:33 EDT 2009

Hello!

I had a strange problem with my cyrus here. I am starting imapd with

        imap            cmd="imapd -U 50" listen="imap" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        imaps           cmd="imapd -s -U 50" listen="imaps" prefork=0
maxchild=100

Three times this morning I found that imap was stalled. I had 100 instances
of the imap imapd-process. In the logs I just saw messages about connections
established and connection timeout on imap. cyrmaster was running and
listening on the imap port. After restarting everything was ok again.

The interesting part is that the imaps - imapd was running well meanwhile.

It might well be that I hit the maxchild limit on imap, but that shouldnt
stall the complete imap, should it?

I changed the imap process to cmd="imapd -U 10 -T 10" listen="imap"
prefork=0 maxchild=200". It is running for now.

Is there any explanation for that? Any Ideas where I could look for reasons
if it happens again?

I am using cyrus imap 2.2.13-10 on debian.

Thanks a lot!
(Gerald)