searching for a 25 seconds delay

Rudy Gevaert rudy.gevaert at ugent.be
Thu May 14 02:01:35 EDT 2009

Citeren Iv Ray <pobox at verysmall.org>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> For several months I have been searching the reason for a 25 seconds
> delay on every Squirrelmail operation (login, select folder, select
> another page) - the mail server runs on FreeBSD 6.x with latest
> postfix and Cyrus IMAP with Cyrus SASL authentication against a
> PostgreSQL database.
>
> Mail clients like Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc. do not exhibit this
> problem.
>
> I received some guidance on this list and I tried quite a few things
> without being able to locate the problem.
>
> Today, however, I finally noticed something -
>
> 1. All operations that I could try using imtest respond immediately
> (including initial login).
>
> 2. However the initial login of cyradm is delayed exactly 25 seconds.
>
> It would be great if someone could help me analyze the reason for this
> difference, which might bring me closer to the issue.
>
> Cyrus does not have redundant authentication mechanisms (some people
> suggested that this might cause delay) and the 25 seconds appear very
> stable (i. e. it is always 25 seconds).

It is maybe your sasl not having enough entropy, as probably
squirelmail logs in for each request.  Recompile sasl to use
/dev/urandom in stead of /dev/random

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur  Direction ICT, Infrastructure dept.
Groep Systemen                     Systems group
Universiteit Gent                  Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be