Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.14 Released

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 26 05:37:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 08:51:11AM +0100, Simon Matter wrote:
> >> My question goes mainly to Bron:
> >> I've included some of your fastmail.fm patches in my RPMS in the past.
> >> They have always been on http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/
> >> Now things have changed and those patches are no longer maintained
> >> there.
> >> Is there a way for me to get the same patches but for 2.3.14 and newer
> >> releases (for example the cyrus-clean-shutdown-2.3.13.diff patch)?
> >> I'm quite sure the code is somewhere on
> >> http://github.com/brong/cyrus-imapd/ but I don't know how to extract the
> >> patches from there?
> >> Any help is much appreciated.
> >
> > Yeah, I never quite got around to finishing the "rebuild my patches
> > page from git" code :(  Sorry.
> >
> > I'm tempted to post them to the mailing list or something - then
> > they'll be in various versions in caches somewhere.  Git is a
> > great development platform for me, but it does mean that I
> > rewrite the patches frequently as I reorder them and stuff - so
> > it's a pain for people tracking them.
>
> While we are at it, wouldn't it make sense for the clean-shutdown patch to
> go into CVS?

Hmm... probably.  Though I'm not 100% convinced that it's perfect.  We
still get the occasional mismatch after a shutdown - things that were
committed enough and yet didn't get synclogged.  I'm very tempted to
add some sort of pre-log to the sync system.  It would be a bit of a
pain, but it would avoid all the shutdown issues, and it would give us
a list of things to clean up on startup as well!

In particular I'm thinking things like where an email file was created
on disk and moved into the directory, but the append never finished.
There's a spare file that will be found by a reconstruct even though it
was never technically _delivered_.

Bron.