What should be listening on tcp port 12345?

Robert Spellman rspell at bates.edu
Wed Mar 25 08:40:54 EDT 2009

I'm in the process of adding another front end server to our cyrus email
cluster.  The new server is running RedHat ES5, and rpm shows the
version of cyrus is cyrus-imapd-2.3.7.  Our front ends provide imaps,
smtp (via sendmail) and lmtp.  Sendmail uses smmap to verify the
recipients addrsess, using the process outlined within the RTCyrus3
project.  lmtp then handles the delivery of the email to our backend
servers.  The backend servers are running cyrus-imapd-2.2.12.

During testing of the new server, I noticed a significant delay during
the delivery of email of up to 10 minutes.  The delay seems to be caused
by the smmap process while it attempts to connect to tcp port 12345 on
the backend server.  iptables on the backend server was configured to
ignore attempts to connect on tcp port 12345.  Changing iptables to
reject  connections to tcp port 12345 sped up the process considerably.

What process is supposed to be listening on that port?

Here's output from /var/log/maillog.  mailstore03 is the correct backend
server for my mailbox.

Mar 24 14:41:25 postoffice04 smmapd[31605]: executed
Mar 24 14:42:41 postoffice04 smmapd[31605]: accepted connection
Mar 24 14:42:41 postoffice04 smmapd[31605]: verify_user(user.rspell)
proxying to host mailstore03.bates.edu
Mar 24 14:42:41 postoffice04 smmapd[31605]: verify_user(user.rspell)
failed: can't connect to mailstore03.bates.edu