unexpunge segfaults with -l on some mailboxes

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Thu Mar 12 08:08:47 EDT 2009

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:40:28PM -0300, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
>> Darn. This is caused by mailbox corruption again. My script to detect
>> corruption wasn't working properly. Any idea how we can track down what
>> is causing the corruption?
>
> Yeah, I was going to say.
>
> It's corrupted cache file offset pointers.  Assuming you upgraded
> this from an earlier version of Cyrus at some point,

I believe we started at 1.5.19 and then migrated up through the 2.0 ,
2.2 series. Our last major update was from 2.2.13 to 2.3.11. Currently
on 2.3.13

  cyrus.expunge
> and cyrus.index files had issues maintaining cache pointer
> consistency.  You pretty much have to reconstruct all your mailboxes
> to guarantee consistency I think.

This latest list of corrupted mailboxes includes many that were
correupted a couple of weeks ago (including mine) so this is the second
time they have been reconstructed.

> I'm tempted to protect the code from crashing though... we don't
> use unexpunge at FastMail, which is probably why I haven't already
> done so.
>
> Something like the attached should do it.  I'll test it more
> completely and commit it to CVS for 2.3.14 (since Ken hasn't
> cut a release candidate yet!)

Thanks for the patch.

Would ipurge be causing the corruption? We currently purge e-mails older
than 31 days on a weekly basis. I will turn that off for a bit (since
disk space is not as much of an issue as it used to be) and see if the
corruption returns.