Intermittent mailbox not found

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Mar 11 08:53:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:29 +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> On 2009-03-09, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> >> I have inherited a cyrus / postfix server, which is generally well-behaved.
> >> However, there is an intermittent error when delivering messages to a certain
> >> mailbox.  It is infrequent, and generally the message is delievered on the
> >> user's next attempt in his MUA.  The log is something like:
> > What format is your mailbox database in?  Do you see any concomitant
> > messages in the log?
> Not sure what format it's in - I'm new to Cyrus but I thought it had its own
> format, similar to Maildir?

Not the mail spool (/var/spool/imap?) but the metadata spool
(/var/lib/imap?).  There are multiple databases in the metadata spool,
one of which is the mailbox database that lists the mailboxes, their
ACLs, etc... These databases can be in a variety of formats: skiplist,
berkley db, flat, etc...   It is important to see if you have an DBERROR
(berkley) or skiplist error messages in your log as that might relate to
the problem.

[root at sardine imap]# pwd
/var/lib/imap
[root at sardine imap]# file mailboxes.db
mailboxes.db: Cyrus skiplist DB

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @