Announcing cyrus-user-map, a local recipient map generator for Postfix

Stefan Schmidt listreader at jsj.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 10 06:50:07 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 10:58:36 Farzad FARID wrote:
> Thanks for asking. In the "Postfix Address Verification Howto"
> (http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html) it says
> that:

: verification process

> This is a very heavyweight process, especially if we have the Cyrus
> database at hand :) So I think that looking up an entry in a hash map
> is much faster and doesn't involve any SMTP/LMTP connection.

Postfix cashes to test result for a configurable time spam, with
separately definable ranges for positive and negative test results.
It is - after an initial learning period - basically a hash table lookup
without the hazzles of manually generating the lookup table.

> And if the Postfix relay and the Cyrus database are not on the same
> physical computer, and someone's interested, I can extend my little
> tool to use a network connection to fetch the user database.

Still no problem, as postfix has to deliver the mail sto cyrus somehow,
either smtp or lmtp. The verification simply works here.

Greetings,

Stefan
Stefan Schmidt		listreader at jsj.dyndns.org