ipurge and delayed expunge

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jun 26 11:23:18 EDT 2009

We use delayed expunge with a delay of 120 days.

I was just playing with ipurge and it appears to 'physically' delete the
messages rather than just marking messages as expunged.  Is it possible
to have ipurge just mark messages as expunged rather than removing them?

Looking at the man page I assume not.

$ sudo -u cyrus /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ipurge -s -X -f -d 365
user.adam.sent-mail
Working on user.adam.sent-mail...
total messages    		 713
total bytes       		 7683241
Deleted messages  		 0
Deleted bytes     		 0
Remaining messages		 713
Remaining bytes   		 7683241
$ ls /var/spool/imap/a/user/adam/SPAM/  | wc -l
1703

$ sudo -u cyrus /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ipurge -s -X -f -d 5 user.adam.SPAM
Working on user.adam.SPAM...
total messages    		 205
total bytes       		 6493756
Deleted messages  		 130
Deleted bytes     		 4143062
Remaining messages		 75
Remaining bytes   		 2350694
$ ls /var/spool/imap/a/user/adam/SPAM/  | wc -l
1573