'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Jul 29 04:20:08 EDT 2009

Blake Hudson wrote:
> [...]

All of these are explicitly set in my sasl_mech_list.

GSSAPI and OTP require SASL library configuration. The others, including
PLAIN/LOGIN should not.
> .
> ------------MINE-----
> +OK twinP Cyrus POP3 v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-2.el5 server ready
> <163906105530322
> 97444.1248854211 at twinP>
> auth
> +OK List of supported mechanisms follows
> DIGEST-MD5
> CRAM-MD5
> .

Do you have either of the following specified?
sasl_minimum_layer: X
sasl_maximum_layer: X

Have you specified a '-p xxx' within cyrus.conf for imap but not pop3?

Are you using TLS/SSL when connecting via IMAP but not POP3? Sounds like
your telnetting, so that's probably not the case.

Setting "sasl_log_level: 7" in imapd.conf might provide more information
in your syslog.