'PLAIN encryption needed to use mechanism' error

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Jul 29 03:49:51 EDT 2009

Blake,

What sasl lines do you have in /etc/imapd.conf. Do you have any proxies
installed?

"pop3PRTC" in your syslog looks suspicious...:

Usually, pop3 and imap will offer the same mechanisms based on this
config item:

sasl_mech_list: x x x

if this line is commented out, then sasl should attempt to initialize
all available mechs.

Be on the lookout for customization like this (which overrides the
sasl_mech_list config item):

pop3_mech_list: x x x
imap_mech_list: x x x

- Dan

Blake Hudson wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Scott. I can auth as you described using the
> User/Pass method (allowplaintext: is already set to 1 and I've also
> tried sasl_minimum_layer: 0 at the same time).
>
> My concern is that over port 110 the server is only advertising CRAM-MD5
> and DIGEST-MD5. POP3s appears to be advertising PLAIN. Why isn't PLAIN
> advertised over both?
>
> --Blake

>>> AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR] twinP Cyrus IMAP4