Running multiple reconstructs concurrently

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 27 17:40:08 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:19:00AM -0400, Jack Neely wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm writing a script to migrate all the cyrus imap data from version
> 2.2.10 running on 32 bit RHEL 3 to version 2.3.11 on brand new servers
> running RHEL 5 in 64 bit mode.  The data moves fairly quickly but
> running reconstruct over the entire server takes 3 or 4 times longer
> than scp'ing across the data.
>
> Is it safe to run multiple reconstructs concurrently?  Provided they are
> not working on the same mailboxes, of course.

Yes, that's fine.  There will be some lock synchronisation on the
mailboxes.db, but the bulk of the time it will be fine.

By the way, 2.3.11 is pretty old for a 2.3 series.  There have
been bugs fixed since.

By the way number two, I hope you're using -G to the reconstructs
so you get GUIDs calculated (that will add process use, but is
worth it for integrity checking purposes...)

Bron.