Problems running ctl_mboxlist -m on 2.2 back-end

David Mayo D.J.Mayo at bath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 08:35:00 EDT 2009

We are looking at upgrading our single 2.2 IMAP server to a Murder setup
with a 2.3 back-end server. For the transition we will put the current
IMAP server into the Murder and gradually transfer the mailboxes over to
the new server using 'xfer'.

I have just tested the first stage of the migration by dumping the list
of mailboxes on the currently live server and importing that into our
test 'currently live' server. The initial ctl_mboxlist -m transfer to
the MUPDATE master took ~12 minutes for ~225,000 mail folders (skiplist
format).

Subsequent attempts to run ctl_mboxlist -m on the server do not work -
there is a small flurry of activity at the start according to truss on
the local machine and snoop on the MUPDATE server, then nothing happens
for exactly 30 minutes and it finally gives up with "couldn't do LIST
command on mupdate server".

I have restarted the IMAP daemons on both servers and tried converting
the mboxlist_db on the back-end from skiplist to berkeley - none of
these steps have made any difference. I can run mupdatetest and issue a
LIST command which shows plenty of mailboxes.

This shouldn't be a problem in itself as long as all the mailbox
operations work as expected, however it is a bit of a worry. Both
machines are running Solaris 10. The back-end server is running 2.2.12
and the front-end server is running 2.2.13. Has anyone experienced this
problem and is there a way round it if this command doesn't work?

Regards,

Dave.

David Mayo
Networks/Systems Administrator
University of Bath Computing Services, UK