upgrading a 2.2.12 murder to 2.3.14

Gavin Gray gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 05:21:40 EDT 2009

We are planning towards upgrading our existing murder. The murder has
four front ends, three backends and separate mupdate and lmtp servers.
We want to move from version 2.2.12 to 2.3.14 so that we can make use
of delayed expunge an possible replication.

We have several thousand users currently having 4 TB of mail.

Any comments on the following would be welcome:

1. We plan to gradually migrate users from the existing backend
machines to new backend servers running 2.3.14 that have been
integrated into our murder. We plan to do this using xfer. Although
this is very time consuming we are under the impression that cyrus
recommends using imap itself to do migrations rather than trying
underlying filesystem copies of some kind.

2. We should end up then with our existing murder but with three
backends running 2.3.14. We then plan to upgrade the other machines in
the murder to 2.3.14 in the following order: frontends then lmtp and
finally the mupdate server. Does this make sense?

3. As part of our preparation for this work we have been experimenting
with cyrus replication. The replication protocol seems pretty solid,
however we have some concerns about how to make use of it in our
upgrade. We are considering having a replicant machine for each of the
new backends. But this makes the migration even slower. In our tests,
if we migrate users via xfer to a machine that is doing rolling
replication, the replication takes around three times as long to
complete as the xfer. Does anyone have any experience of migrating to
a replicating environment?

many thanks,

Gavin Gray

--
Gavin Gray
Edinburgh University Information Services
email gavin.gray at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.