squatter exits with "fatal error: Virtual memory exhausted" on huge mailbox

Gabor Gombas gombasg at sztaki.hu
Mon Jul 13 09:36:07 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 02:09:40PM +0200, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> >4 GB limit of 32 bit binaries?
>
> Perhaps, although I haven't seen it.

That's only 3GB by default, 1GB of address space is reserved for the
kernel. Also, the stack, the executable, and all the shared libraries
the executable uses also occupy some address space.

> Of course it's possible that it then tried to allocate one huge
> chunk, but I can't see that. Are there better tools to monitor the
> memory allocation of a process?

strace -e trace=brk,mmap,munmap (well, this actually traces glibc's
memory management, but it should show the failure).

Gabor