Cyrus Imap final setup problems

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jul 10 09:24:59 EDT 2009

Nybbles2Byte wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> I just wanted to clarify one thing so no one gets the wrong idea. When I
> rebuilt the data there was still one problem and that was the
> "badlogin" I
> was getting. I tracked it down just now to fetchmail polling Cyrus. This
> must have been a leftover from the guy before because I have never
> touched fetchmail and don't know anything about it except what I read
> in the last 30mins.
>
> From what I can see it is meant to strengthen the communication between
> two other parts of a mail system. However, my Postfix and Cyrus are on
> the same computer so as I see it Fetchmail could do little more than
> be an
> overhead. Would you happen to know if that is a fair assessment because
> I really am very new to all this and I noticed that Fetchmail is not
> mentioned in either the Postfix or the Cyrus documentation or books I
> have gathered.
>
> Thanks,
> -Reg

Reg,

Fetchmail's documentation is located here:

http://fetchmail.berlios.de/

When I did use fetchmail, it was to download a copy of my email from
another provider's POP3 mailserver down into my own personal IMAP server
(via local SMTP). I'm not sure why one would configure fetchmail to
connect to an IMAP server running on local host.

- Dan