Automatically moving marked mails?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 10:46:42 EDT 2009

--On 9 July 2009 09:54:31 -0400 Adam Tauno Williams <adam at morrison-ind.com>
wrote:

>>> That's not feasible for mail with multiple recipients.
>> It is if your rule is to reject all email from a specific sender.
>
> No, because the MTA either accepts or rejects a message [in
> connection].

Not true. The MTA can decide *per recipient* whether to accept mail from a
specific sender. It's true that the MTA hasn't seen the message content at
this point, but it does have enough information to determine - for example
- whether the sender is a member of a mailing list, or is on a recipient's
blacklist or whitelist. We do a lot of that.

Exim, for example, can do this in its ACLs. It doesn't have a built in
SIEVE facility at this stage, but certainly can consult recipient specific
blacklists. It can even be built with a perl interpreter, so you could
check for sender conditions in SEIVE scripts.

> If a message is sent to userX and userY and userX has
> SIEVE set to reject the message and userY does not then the MTA has to
> receive the message in order to deliver it to userY.  And the MTA
> would have to check every recipient's SIEVE script.

Sure, there are some content dependent conditions that could not be tested
at this stage. In principle, they could be ignored for the moment. There
probably aren't any SIEVE implementations that do what I suggest, and the
implementations wouldn't be simple, but there's no principled reason that
it shouldn't.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex