DBERROR with Cyrus 2.2.12

Christophe Boyanique tof at raceme.org
Mon Jul 6 12:05:30 EDT 2009

Hello,

I've got a problem with an old Cyrus installation: it is a 2.2.12
version on RedHat AS3 server which used to work correctly. It seems that
after a power failure, some mailboxes have been corrupted.

On 1000 mailboxes, 5 seem to be unreachable (for imap reads or lmtp
deliveries) with this message in the log:

DBERROR: error fetching user.foobar: cyrusdb error

I tried without success (with cyrus started or stopped) to reconstruct
the boxes with:

su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -fr user/foobar"

I also tried to stop the server, delete all the cyrus.* files in the
user mailbox, reconstruct it and start again cyrus. But i always get the
same errors...

I also tried to regenerate the mailbox file without success with:

/etc/init.d/cyrus-imapd stop
cp /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db.orig
su -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d > /tmp/mailboxes_dmp.txt' cyrus
su -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb /tmp/mailboxes_dmp.txt flat
/tmp/mailboxes.db skiplist' cyrus
cp /tmp/mailboxes.db /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db
chown cyrus:mail /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db
/etc/init.d/cyrus-imapd start

But Cyrus does not accept the new file so I add to revert back: for all
users I had these errors:

imap[27307]: user.foobar: can't find partition
master[27006]: service imap pid 27532 in BUSY state: terminated abnormally

Does anyone have an idea of what is the problem ? Is the mailboxes file
corrupted or ma I in a dead end ?
Is there a better way to generate a fresh mailboxes file ?

I also have these kinds of error messages:

lmtpunix[28440]: DBERROR db4: 23 lockers

Christophe.