Upgrade and Migration

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Sat Jul 4 16:14:37 EDT 2009

On 07/04/2009 03:04 PM, Garry Glendown wrote:
> I've been following this thread, I will be doing an IMAP migration from
> an older to a more current version (albeit, not the newest). I was
> wondering - is imapsync (or IMAP for that matter) able to copy all the
> folders, permissions etc. by using the cyrus admin user instead of all
> the separate users? That would save a lot of work ...

Yes, it is, if you first grant the admin account all rights to all
mailboxes, which is kind of a pain.  My preferred approach, if you can
afford to have the mailstore off line for the duration, is to simply
bulk-change the passwords to some known value prior to commencing the
transfer.  For example, if you are using unix system passwords, change
the /etc/shadow (or whatever) file.  If you are using LDAP change the
userPassword attributes, etc.  You can stash away a copy of the
originals and restore them later.

Then I would run a script, written in your favorite scripting language,
to walk through a list of users and initiate the transfers.  You can run
multiple transfers at once, just keep an eye on your I/O loads to make
sure you aren't just loading down the systems too much.

Cheers,
    -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com
219 N. Milwaukee St., Ste. 2A	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202		  f. 414.290.0335