Email bounces: mailbox does not exist

Edwin Boersma edwin at secureoffice.net
Sat Jan 31 02:56:52 EST 2009

Hi,

I have installed Cyrus 2.3.11 and it works fine together with Postfix.
But there is something strange. I found these two things:

1. Cyrus doesn't seem to accept mailboxes with a dot in it, like
"edwin.boersma". It then bounces the mail with a "Message contains
invalid header" message:

<edwin.boersma at secureoffice.net>: data format error. Command output:
    edwin.boersma: Message contains invalid header

It also says:

Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; edwin.boersma: Message contains invalid header

I changed to user name to "edwin_boersma" and then it works.

Is this "works as designed" or just a plain bug?

2. If I send an email to 2 or more users on the same server, the message
bounces with a "Mailbox does not exist" message.

<edwin at localhost.secureoffice.net> (expanded from <edwin at secureoffice.net>):
    data format error. Command output: : Mailbox does not exist

<niklas at localhost.secureoffice.net> (expanded from <niklas at secureoffice.net>):
    data format error. Command output: : Mailbox does not exist

Both mailboxes are there, for sure. Sending to each user seperately works!

--
Kind regards,

Edwin Boersma
Lead Developer Web Applications