Considerations to migrate cyrus mailboxes

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:19:53 EST 2009

Hi people:

I'm running a CentOS 5 box with Cyrus IMAP 2.3.7. All mailboxes belong
to a unique domain (no virtdomains setting) and also are using the
unix hierarchy convention.
Now I'm planning to migrate the mailserver to a virtual machine under
OpenVZ and I want to migrate all mailbox data from the old server to
the new one.
But the new server -also running Cyrus and the same version- will be
configured with virtdomains support, and the 'defaultdomain' will be
different to the domain where I pretend to move old mailboxes.

What considerations or steps must I follow?
How can I convert old mailboxes (with no virtdomains support) to the
new ones (with virtdomains support)?
Will I need to copy all files from the Cyrus config directory and
partition directory?

I know that this task it could be done using imapsync between both
imap servers... but.. is there any better option than this?

I hope someone can help me a bit, thanks, bye :)