32 to 64 bit -- murder and replication

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 14 14:44:28 EST 2009

Hi all,

To throw another 32/64 question on the fire here, I'm hoping to upgrade the
ancient 1.6 (yes, I know!) install here to 2.3, and then we're going to use
the murder to help us break out of the single giant 6800 we have and move
to the distributed model.  However, for a time, the 32 bit code on the old
server is going to need to play nicely with the 64 bit code on the other
servers, both front-end and back-end.  We'd also like to get replication
into the mix here at some point, and may have the same split.

Everything will be running the same code, but it will be a different build,
naturally (the old housed on Solaris 9, the new on Solaris 10).  Can anyone
think of any nastiness we might run into along the way?  Ram's warning
about the seen flags means I'll probably dump the seen databases before
migration just to be safe, but I think we can handle migration issues.
It's the ongoing interop issues I'm worried about.

Thanks,
Michael