choosing a file system

Janne Peltonen janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 9 10:20:02 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:41:38AM -0600, Scott Lambert wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:54:10AM +0200, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> > So have I. But in the current Cyrus installation, I'm stuck with Linux,
> > so I concentrated on what's available on Linux. Moreover, I don't want
> > to use non-free operating systems - if anything, I've become more
> > ideological with age... I'd happily use /any/ free unix variant that ran
> > ZFS, but.
>
> Well, fire up your test environment and start playing with FreeBSD.  ZFS
> and DTrace and "free."  The better ZFS is in 8-CURRENT.  Apparently,
> you have to tweak things a bit on 7-STABLE still.  But, by the time you
> (third person non-specific) get comfortable with "not Linux" 8 may be
> -STABLE.

OK, I was oversimplifying things. ZFS isn't actually non-free as such,
it's just GPL-incompatible.

And the "but" above did include quite a lot of things, like for instance
"us" being committed to red hat / centos. If I haven't been able to even
alter the Linux distribution here, just how hard would you think it'd be
to try altering the unix variant... For example, one thing is, our SAN
vendor says their product supports Red Hat, and I'm already treading
over thin ice by using Centos.

I've even been playing a little with userland ZFS, but it's far from
usable in production (was a nice little toy. though, and a /lot/ faster
than could be believed).

I think other points concerning why not to change to another OS
completely for the benefits available in ZFS were already covered by
Bron, so I'm not going to waste bandwidth any more with this matter. :)

--Janne
--
Janne Peltonen <janne.peltonen at helsinki.fi> PGP Key ID: 0x9CFAC88B
Please consider membership of the Hospitality Club (http://www.hospitalityclub.org)