choosing a file system

Robert Banz rob at nofocus.org
Fri Jan 9 01:13:25 EST 2009

> There's a significant upfront cost to learning a whole new system
> for one killer feature, especially if it comes along with signifiant
> regressions in lots of other features (like a non-sucky userland
> out of the box).

The "non-sucky" userland comment is simply a matter of preference, and
bait for a religious war, which I'm not going to bite.

What I will say is that switching between Solaris, Linux, IRIX,
Ultrix, FreeBSD, HP-UX, OSF/1 -- any *nix variant, should not be
considered a stumbling block. Your comment shows the narrow-mindedness
of the current Linux culture, many of us were brought up supporting
and using a collection of these platforms at any one time.

(notice, didn't mention AIX. I've got my standards ;)

Patching is always an issue on any OS, and you do have the choice of
running X applications remotely (booting an entire graphic
environment!?), and many other tools available such as pca to help you
patch on Solaris, which provide many of the features that you're used
to.

-rob