choosing a file system

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 9 00:19:53 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:01:04AM -0800, Vincent Fox wrote:
> (Summary of filesystem discussion)
>
> You left out ZFS.

Just to come back to this - I should say that I'm a big fan
of ZFS and what Sun have done with filesystem design.  Despite
the issues we've had with that machine, I know it's great for
people who are using it...

BUT - if someone is asking "what's the best filesystem to use
on Linux" and gets told ZFS, and by the way you should switch
operating systems and ditch all the rest of your custom setup/
experience then you're as bad as a Linux weenie saying "just
use Cyrus on Linux" in a "how should I tune NTFS on my
Exchange server" discussion.

>From the original post:

  "zfs (but we should switch to solaris or freebsd and
   throw away our costly SAN)"

I'd love to do some load testing on a ZFS box with our setup
at some point.  There would be some advantages, though I suspect
having one big mailboxes.db vs the lots of little ones we have
would be a point of contention - and fine-grained skiplist
locking is still very much a wishlist item.  I'd want to take
some time testing it before unleashing it on the world!

Bron.