choosing a file system

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Jan 8 20:03:46 EST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> We run one zfs machine.  I've seen it report issues on a scrub
> only to not have them on the second scrub.  While it looks shiny
> and great, it's also relatively new.

Wait, weren't you just crowing about ext4? The filesystem that was
marked GA in the linux kernel release that happened just a few weeks
ago? You also sound pretty enthusiastic, rather than cautious, when
talking about brtfs and tux3.

ZFS, and anyone who even remotely seriously follows Solaris would know
this, has been GA for 3 years now. For someone who doesn't have their
nose buried in Solaris much or with any serious attention span, I
guess it could still seem new.

As for your x4500, I can't tell if those syslog lines you pasted were
from Aug. 2008 or 2007, but certainly since 2007 the marvel SATA
driver has seen some huge improvements to work around some pretty
nasty bugs in the marvell chipset. If you still have that x4500, and
have not applied the current patch for the marvell88sx driver, I
highly suggest doing so. Problems with that chip are some of the
reasons Sun switched to the LSI 1068E as the controller in the x4540.

/dale