List to Spam Harvest

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Feb 27 15:49:28 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 15:38 -0500, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> --On Friday, February 27, 2009 13:46 -0500 Adam Tauno Williams
> <adam at morrison-ind.com> wrote:
> > And posting these here in
> > plain text unobfusticated will have no measurable effect on the amount
> > of SPAM I receive.   I've been using these addresses for years [a
> > decade?] go ahead and google them
> My address has been on the net since 1989 and Google tells me it is
> on 729 web pages.  I know for a fact that there are people here who
> get a lot more spam than I do, because I follow up on spam reports.
> Web harvesting certainly exists but I don't like going into hiding.

It exists but it is by no means the primary source of SPAM;  there has
been some research on how to attract SPAM and the clear far and away
winner is to sign up / register with a consumer products or services
company.  The last study I read indicated that doing so produced 50x
more SPAM than any other action.  Using a public e-mail list produced
essentially none.

> The compromise with " at " sounds pretty good though.  No argument.

Fine with me.