How to copy messages between mailboxes?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 26 17:17:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:42:04AM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:45:25PM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> >> Hi people:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to create a script to copy "certain" messages from a
> >> mailbox of user A to mailbox of user B. These are the steps I have in
> >> mind:
> >
> > Wrong steps.  That's not a good way to do it.
> >
> Well, I just based on the example shown in the cyrus documentation. It
> says that a message file recently copied it will no be visible until
> reconstruct command is executed.

True.  Doing it this way really isn't very nice though, and as you
noticed, you probably should be renaming the files as well so that
the UIDs match up.  If the same UID was used both in user.A and
user.A.Drafts, then your idea would not work anyway.

> > Use IMAP.
>
> Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about programming :( It doesn't
> seem a good idea to learn programming now just to solve this little
> issue.

Learn programming.  This is a fairly simple piece of programming, and
being able to automate tasks is worth the effort.

> Anyway I know that programming is necessary to me so I'll learn as
> soon as I have enough free time.

Hey - you can always do it by hand with an IMAP client, which is no
harder than doing it by hand using the 'cp' command.  Just log in as
the admin user.

> Thanks anyway people, I'll read about Perl::ImapTalk

Yeah, it's pretty good.  Mail::ImapTalk on CPAN.  It's written by Rob,
who sits about 1 metre away from me, and he reads this list too, so
if you have any problems you know where to ask!

Bron.