initial slowness

Raymond T. Sundland raymond at sundland.com
Tue Feb 24 18:28:40 EST 2009

I have two possible fixes, not sure if either will work...

The first possible is if your system is configured for IPv6, but Cyrus
is not opening a port on any IPv6 addresses, if you just type
'localhost', it will likely try the IPv6 address first and the timeout
is probably in the 20-25 second range.

The other option I ran into some time ago... and it had to due to
defining multiple authentication schemes in the SASL configuration.
When you define multiple, it will try each one in order.  I stripped it
down to just PLAIN, which is what I wanted to use, and it was much
quicker.  The cyradm script will prompt for the password before actually
trying to connect, which is why it's slow AFTER the password is entered.