initial slowness

Iv Ray pobox at verysmall.org
Tue Feb 24 17:56:18 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I wrote to the list about slow Cyrus IMAP, and I
received a couple of answers, however I am still struggling.

What I noticed now is that even the command line login -

cyradm -u cyrus localhost

takes about 25 seconds, after the password is entered, to show the
localhost> prompt (and the server load is close to zero).

I did reconstruct several times and once quota -f, but this does not
seem to help.

I read about rebuilding of the mailboxes.db - but I am a bit scared.

The server is running FreeBSD 6.x with latest Cyrus IMAP and has,
usually, load close to zero.

I also noticed that the add/edit mailbox operations done with a php
script take very long (perhaps around 25 seconds, as well).

Some hints what might be wrong and/or steps to clean up/improve the
situation will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Iv