[OT] Re: Security risk of POP3 & IMAP protocols

Duncan Gibb Duncan.Gibb at SiriusIT.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 09:22:42 EST 2009

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

JV> a sales person told my friend that IMAP protocol is
JV> less secure than POP3 protocol.

ATW> It is really far and away more about end-to-end security
ATW> practices than it is the OSI layer 7 protocol(s) involved.

Indeed.

ATW> I stand by my assertion that the IMAP vs. POP issue is 100% bogosity.

Yep; I agree.  Perhaps the sales person is pushing a mail system which
doesn't speak IMAP (if such a thing exists).

Duncan

--
Duncan Gibb, Technical Director
Sirius Corporation plc - The Open Source Experts