Security risk of POP3 & IMAP protocols

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:49:29 EST 2009

Hi people:

A friend of mine is asking me about security risks of using IMAP &
POP3 protocols. Why? Because a sales person told my friend that IMAP
protocol is less secure than POP3 protocol. This assumption is not
related to Cyrus IMAP, instead is related only to the protocols.
I'm searching at Google something about POP3 & IMAP security but I'm
not pretty sure about comments I can found in forums or other sites.

Does anybody here know anything about security risk of these
protocols? Is it true that one of them is less secure than the other
one?

Thanks, bye