Urgent help required

Denis BUCHER dbucherml at hsolutions.ch
Fri Dec 18 08:00:50 EST 2009

Hello,

Bron Gondwana a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:54:10AM +0100, Denis BUCHER wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for submitting so many questions to the list, now I have a HUGE
>> problem !
>>
>> I did /usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist -d -x -p default and it destroyed my *.seen
>> (read/unread database) files !
>>
>> I took the files from backup but cyrus doesn't accept them and shows all
>> emails as unread (including read emails, and deleted emails) ???
>>
>> It's really catastrophic, and I don't know how to make cyrus
>> use/read/take the *.seen files copied from backups ?
>
> Check the permissions on them.  It's more likely that ctl_mboxlist has
> changed the header uniqueid.  You'll have better luck copying the
> cyrus.header files from backup.  Just going to check the code now:
>
> Hmm... I can't see it changing either seen OR headers, but headers are
> more likely.

Yes you were right, it was the solution :

user.seen files uses unique IDs stored in the cyrus.header file

Therefore, restoring only user.seen file will not work if a reconstruct
was done in-between, because the ids will not correspond anymore.

The solution is therefore to :
1. Stop cyrus
2. Restore a user.seen from backups (it's ok if not very recent, emails
read since then will simply become "unread")
2. ALSO RESTORE cyrus.* files in the folder that were backup at the same
time of user.seen ! (To be sure unique ids will correspond.)
3. reconstruct mailbox : it will use data from backups and add the
emails arrived inbetween as unread.
4. Restart cyrus

Denis