Virtual Domains and TLS

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Dec 14 03:10:39 EST 2009

Quoting Nybbles2Byte <nybbles2byte at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to have the "tls_..." options in the imap.conf file
> work for multiple domains so that as many virtual domains as you
> want can authenticate without the client software popping up
> warnings like "certificate does not match this server" ?

It depends on your Problem. If these virtual domains are all
subdomains of one domain you can use wildcard domains. If there are
few virtual domains and they don't change to often you can try the
subject alternate name attribute.

For https the Problem is solved by server name indication. But the server
and client have to support this. And it would suprise me if there are
any IMAP server or clients that support server name indication.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen