NOTICE: Debian is moving sieve to its IANA allocated port (4190)

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Dec 9 13:54:07 EST 2009

On 09/12/09 09:49 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 19:10 -0500, Matt Selsky wrote:
>> Has any client software been updated to use port 4190?
>
>Not that I've seen.
>
>---
>Ahh, Debian, you make me love CentOS more every day.

I've filed a bug (#559923) against Debian's Avelsieve package to change
its default configuration (for new installations) to use port 4190. I
would hope that change gets passed on to upstream when/if this issue
affects more OSs.

In my opinion, new installations should consider using 4190 and existing
installations should use whatever works best.

If you do not intend to change Sieve ports for timsieved, then it'd be best
to change your cyrus.conf file now so you're not surprised in the future.
E.g., if you have:

sieve           cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0 maxchild=100

then changing to this:

sieve           cmd="timsieved" listen="2000" prefork=0 maxchild=100

will help mitigate problems if your OS decides to modify your /etc/service
unexpectedly.

--
Dan White