Compress attachments

Paolo Cravero pcravero at as2594.net
Mon Aug 31 10:51:46 EDT 2009

andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it wrote:

Hello Andreas,

> Is it possible to configure cyrus the way that it compresses the
> attachments on the storage ( not for tranfer as in RFC 4978 ) ? I know

AFAIK there is no cyrus option to do this. Moreover cyrus does not separate
attachments from the message body, so the whole message would need to be
gzipped. For each and every message.

> that diskspace is cheap, but when you have to get back thousands of
> mailboxes from a backup, the smaller the files are the faster the
> restore is done.

Well, replicate live mailboxes data rather than rely on a single node and
frequent backups. :-) I'm also starting to love the delayed expunge facility
with respect to cheap disk space.

Ciao,
Paolo