Caching Proxy

Kai Moritz kai at ich-geh-kaputt.de
Mon Aug 31 04:45:28 EDT 2009

Hi,

my company receives a lot of mails with big attachments. Since the
internet-link is slow, it would be desireable to store these mails on a
local server. But unfortunatly, the received mail has to be accessable
(read, copy, delete) for some employees, which are working at home as
well.

So, I was thinking of some kind of caching IMAP-proxy. At first glance,
I thought, that cyrus murder might do the trick. But diving into the
documentation, it looks like a front end server is only caching the
Mailbox-Metadata, not the messages itself.

Is it possible to build a cyrus cluster with a frontend server, that
caches messages, so that a second FETCH for the same message hits on the
cached copy located on the front end server, instead of fetching it
again from the backend server?

Or does anybody has another suggestion to deal with this problem?

Greetings

Kai Moritz