Inbox and Deleted Items folders are Journal folders

Drew Phillips drew at danieldata.com
Tue Aug 25 13:11:00 EDT 2009

Recently one of our user’s mailboxes started appearing to Outlook 2007 as a journal folder rather than a mail folder and we have been struggling to get it fixed for quite some time now.
I have tried loading his mail in Outlook 2003 and 2007 on 3 other PC’s but the problem persists on the new machines so it appears to be a flag on the server somewhere.

When running ctl_mboxlist and piping it to a file, his inbox appears on a line like this:
user.dan        default dan     lrswipcda4      admin   lrswipcda

I think the 4 denotes a journal folder and a 1 is a regular email folder.

I have attempted to change the 4 to a 1 and then bring the config back to mailboxes.db and then reconstruct all folders.
If I look in mailboxes.db the inbox folder appears to be a “1”, but when going back and running ctl_mboxlist again, it comes out as a 4.

We have tried several things including creating a new user and copying his messages over, the new user’s inbox is also a journal.  I have tried removing all messages from the inbox folder and rebuilding in case a message in there was affecting the parsing of folder types but that did not help either.

Our last attempt was a series of commands to rebuild mailboxes.db and all the __db files from the db folder and finally a reconstruct.  While the mailboxes.db file shows his folder as a “1”, ctl_mboxlist still shows it as a “4” when it comes out.

The folder was apparently changed to a journal near the end of 2008 but his inbox in outlook didn’t reflect that change until a month or two ago when he was cleaning up his inbox.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Drew Phillips