Cyrus Imap server Questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 16 19:22:57 EDT 2009

----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Attached_SCSI#SAS_vs_SATA
----
> would raid5 using 3 or 4 1 TB drives be better than the sas raid 1 ?
----
RAID5 is intended to sacrifice performance for larger storage. If
performance is important, use RAID1 or even better, a 4 drive RAID 10
(RAID1 + RAID0) because performance should smoke.
----

> My test server.  is a Dualcore E5200  @ 2.50GHz wwith 2GB ram and a
> 160 SATA drive.
>
> I get delays accessing my email in Outlook (1.5 Gb of email) , I
> suspect this delay is Outlook
> Outlook is unresponsive for 2-3 minutes at startup (when syncing)
----
I don't have this issue
----
> I also get a Message now and then  about my connection being closed
----
rarely see this issue
----
> All of the users currently use Outlook.
> Outlook Auto Archive does not seem to work with IMAP
----
It should...Outlook should automatically create archive.pst in $USER
\Temporary Files\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook - at least that's
how it always works for me but that is not a Cyrus-imapd issue.
----
> I am 99% sure this is outlook is the problem, are there workarounds available ?
> (fairly sure I can convert a lot of people to Thunderbird etc , But
> the Managers like their Outlook!)
----
Outlook is a terrible IMAP client. This is not accidental. Outlook
exists to drive people to Exchange Server and Microsoft deliberately
cripples certain features in Outlook when using an IMAP server. Perhaps
with the 'connector' and eGroupware you can get better behavior from
Outlook. If you try setting up Outlook Express to the Cyrus IMAP server,
you will see that Microsoft can provide a decent IMAP client but they
deliberately break reasonable behavior in Outlook...your choice whether
you use it or not.
----
> ( we need to keep every email Archived for Legal reasons etc. )
> (still don't know how to get Sendmail to archive all outgoing messages
> yet either)
----
better suited to Sendmail lists
----
> also:
> The RHEL5.3  cyrus rc script  runs a database backup on shutdown and a
> restore on bootup - This is a bit dumb, when the backup progess
> crashed due to a misconfigeration (test server) and the server was
> Power reset.  it the restored a broken backup and I lost the mailbox
> database ..  - Not your fault but something to watch out for.
----
cyrus should checkpoint the db's on regular intervals

Craig

believed to be clean.