Cyrus Imap server Questions

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Sun Aug 16 19:22:21 EDT 2009

If you need to do archival, I recommend that instead of using Sendmail,
you look into using Postfix.  It has an option "always_bcc" which can be
used to send a copy of each message, internal as well as incoming and
outgoing, to a particular mailbox.  You can then either have that
mailbox put into a separate partition.  Or, if you need to be able to
support legal discovery, such as for Sarbane Oxley compliance, you
should look into using a database backed archival solution, such as with
the catchmail.py script or dbmail.

As for the Outlook performance issues, do your users have Outlook
configured for "offline" mode support?  If so, that may be the cause of
the problems.  Unless these users are using portable computers there is
no real need for this mode to be employed.

As far as you hardware choices, they seem reasonable.  I have systems
with hundreds of users working off of SATA arrays quite happily, though
for a modern system I would use SAS.

You didn't mention which operating system you are using.  If you haven't
yet chosen, I would recommend looking into one which supports ZFS, which
would mean Solaris, OpenSolaris, NexentaOS or FreeBSD, for example.  We
have a server with 1500 users on similar hardware to your spec, running
on FreeBSD with the mailstore in a ZFS volume with RAIDz2 and are quite
happy with the performance.  With ZFS RAIDz options you do not really
need the RAID controller, and all the problems that go along with them.

If you are more comfortable with Linux, which does not have ZFS support,
then I recommend NexentaOS, which is the OpenSolaris kernel and core
with the Ubuntu userland bolted on.  You get the best of both worlds
that way.

Cheers,
    -nic