Multiple instance Howto?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Aug 14 13:20:55 EDT 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Multiple instance Howto?
From: Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>
To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:30:55 PM
> Is there a howto for setting up multiple cyrus instances?
>

> I have created two sets of:
> startup scripts
> cyrus.conf files (each process told to use the corresponding config file
> and IP)
> imapd.conf files
> /var/spool/imap directories
> /var/lib/imap directories
>

> I thought I had everything running fine (imap/pop works) until I tried
> to deliver mail to LMTP and found that if both instances were running
> that LMTP would refuse connections. If someone has a proven howto, I'd
> appreciate being able to review it.
>
> Thanks,
> --Blake

I had started cyrus-master with the -M and -C option, but forgot about
-p (pid file). I think this was causing cyrus-master to step on the toes
of the other instance. Everything seems to be working now. And for my
own benefit, I created a copy of the cyrus-master executive for use with
my second instance as it makes the init script and monitoring simpler.

I would still appreciate some direction with someone that has more
experience with running multiple instances (or installs) of cyrus on the
same machine.

--Blake